Missinterpretation- Korean dramas/ Kpop


    Lately, in Netflix you see these cheesy Korean/ Asian dramas and would just enjoy them. However these Asian dramas and beauty standards takes effects in self-objectification in young girls.

Image result for 100 pounds of beauty korean drama
    I really began to contemplate these dangerous messages that are sent through shows, photos, or ads to younger girls when my younger sister told me that she gained some weight. Usually as a child, growing and gaining a healthy amount of weight is pretty necessary and I was glad that she was growing. However, her response to this as she told me this news was that she thinks its ugly and unfit. As a girl only eleven, I was shocked to hear this. Even now, I think she is actually underweight, and the fact that her gaining some weight is such a disappointment and a fear is really appalling. Not only this, when I explain to her how gaining some pounds is actually a step towards growth and healthiness, she tells me that not adding more pounds is actually more fit.
    I would ask, how does this happen? Why does my sister believe that simply gaining a couple pounds is terrible? I began to really think about the media she surrounds herself with. My sister is actually a big fan of Kpop and K dramas. In the Korean culture (which has made it to America), I noticed the certain type of character these films and entertainment, where the main and favored characters were these super skinny and beautiful Asians. As I look more into K pop and the singers, the idols are almost always super skinny and fit into a certain weight range. These idols do intense workouts and diets to maintain this type of body, which leads to becoming underweight and for some, anorexic. Although the Korean dramas may be innocent and entertaining, they contribute to the expected beauty standard. Even some of these actors or idols actually suffer anorexia or is unhealthy.
    The messages that are sent from these entertainment industries, such as the Asian ones, could be dangerous since viewers like young girls can compare these actors. A lot of times in these dramas, the protagonist starts off as an average so called "ugly" person that defies all the beauty standards in that culture, but soon has some kind of transformation or "glow up" and conforming to the common standard of beauty that helps them get the guy (such as the drama 200 Pounds Beauty). This kind of message show that the girl needs to "glow up" or somehow conform to these standards in order to be loved or worthy. My younger sister just proves the fact that in her mind, being over a certain amount of pounds is bad, and that any added weight is ugly. Just knowing that such a young girl is already having this mindset is frightening to me, and even more, my younger sister is already naturally really skinny. This makes me think about this impact on other girls, who suffer the same insecurities and starts to objectify themselves to meet this standard and feel excepted and beautiful. Entertainment industries could be sending the message that women needs to self-objectify themselves to feel confident, and that it is the main thing that defines them.
    Overall, I think that the implications that the entertainment industry has, such as the rising Asian dramas, may seem harmless at a glance, but could send dangerous messages and add on to the insecurities of women. By always emphasizing a certain beauty, or showing that women should look a certain way instead of being themselves, it limits the perceptions of women to the natural and diverse beauty that everyone possesses.

How To Become A K-Pop Idol: Life As A Foreign Trainee
Peace.
Livian

Comments

  1. Hey Livian! I never thought about Korean dramas/K Pop like that, but I totally see what you mean. I've always heard about the "beautiful people" in Korea, and how everyone is expected to look beautiful and get plastic surgery to enhance their beauty. (I could be wrong, but that's just what I've heard. It could be a stereotype...) Not to mention the fact that young girls in America are influenced by this through Korean dramas and K Pop, but I thought about young girls in Korea and how they must feel. Although they have probably grown up in a culture valuing beauty, it seems harsh for young girls to grow and be themselves in that type of environment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that’s horrible!! i’ve seen your sister and she is definitely not fat. girls that young shouldn’t have to worry about their body image, let alone weight. the industry should consider the affect they have on such a young audience. Do you think that kpop influences her more because she can relate to actresses more (because they’re asian)? Or do you think that the constant need to be skinny in media (reinforced in both asian and american tv) affects her more because she sees it in multiple cultures?

    ReplyDelete
  3. BRUH! SHE LITERALLY HAS A SIX PACK, IF ANYTHING SHE IS FAR FROM "FAT." This makes me so sad to hear this from your sister. but i see what you mean. becuase i watched this one documentary on Netflilx about South Korea and the horrible unrealistic expectations they want from adolescent girls and how 20% of them get cosmetic surgery in order to conform to society's standards. As such a large number receives surgery to look "better," this leads me to wonder about those who cannot afford the surgery. Is this yet another idea that reinforces the stereotype that the wealthy are more beautiful and better in essentially any way? Idk these are simply some random thoughts your blog led me to think about. AMAZING JOB HON!!😘🙌

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the idea of appearance is getting more and more obsessed over, which grows my concern. Personally I've come to accept who I am and realize that everyone is different and it's okay if you have different views than others and methods of loving yourself. Social media is dangerous for girls and boys and the fact that it can also affect adults should be alarming to others.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts