What is my relationship with media?

Media: Various means of communication.

What is my relationship with media?
Well, the media and I have been on a rocky path in our relationship, and is somewhat different compared to many other teenagers. The media, is like a hate-love relationship that I have. I may enjoy the media, and connecting with other people more is a physical way and seeing them face to face, rather through the internet which is another form of media. The internet at times, is rather dull, but I do love the internet because I get to read my Webtoons comics, and cruise Netflix and YouTube. However, also for these reasons that I love the internet, I also hate it because I procrastinate and spend all my valuable time on unproductive, so I also hate the media at this time. My relationship with the media is rather different than lots of teenagers only because I don't own any form of social media (snap chat, twitter, Facebook, Instagram, vsco, etc...) except for my pinterest that I never use. The media is something that I do value because I love connecting with other people. Honestly, I think that the media some how does form more bonds and connection, even when its just sitting to watch TV together or what-not, or just talking about social media brings more communication. People lately that I know have been calling me a "vsco girl" which I had no idea of what that was, and even talking about meaningless topics like these, the bond is what really counts. Although the media is such a great thing, I think that it also comes with a price.
 I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the internet as a form of entertainment (aka BINGIN), but my love for the media is also restricted because of the toxicity it could bring, especially to teenagers. I mean, I do own an iPhone 4, so my means of communication is pretty limited, so that I think I am better at not being glued to my phone for longer than 7 minutes. Even if I got another phone, and considered downloading social media, the media has some sort of scary power that could implicate and add on to the way teenagers view things. For an example, I seem to stray more away from social media mainly since my parents wouldn't want me to, but also because of the overwhelming proximity of information that could manipulate and deceive me into shaping unrealistic expectations and building up insecurities, or even worse, forget the things in life that really matter (like just spreading love and spending time to like anyone, especially my dog).
As I reflect back at my relationship with media, I mainly try to focus on the communicating part, although things like the internet and entertainment does bring distractions and replace lots of sleeping time. I stray away from any toxicity of comparison, and just drama in general from social media apps, which some people may call me "dead to the internet" because of my sucky phone. Overall, my limitations of media does help me stay away from addiction to specifically social media, and I myself is kinda scared of it being the ambivert I am because of the bad things that could come with media, but I regret the lack of communication I may have with others around me.
So, overall, my relationship with media is pretty darn deep and its been a rough journey of ups and downs. Peace.


Comments

Popular Posts